About Us - Facts and Figures
- Total office and factory floor space: 400,000 sq. ft. (37,160 sq. m).
- Milnor's permanent full-time employees have a combined average of 14.5 years of service. 65% will have ten or more years of service with the company.
- Almost 50% of the total office workforce are engineers or are in engineering-support roles. Many design and draft new products in the company's mechanical and electrical engineering departments. Others work as installation and troubleshooting engineers, as well as industrial and laundry planning engineers, while still other employees support these departments in roles such as technical documentation.
- Milnor "turns" about 48 million pounds of goods (22 million kilograms) a year. That means every year 24 million pounds (22 million kilograms) of receivables are turned into 24 million pounds of outgoing equipment and equipment-related shipments, making the company one of the major-outbound shippers in metropolitan New Orleans. Shipping modes include motor, rail, air, and steamship.
- Milnor was the first Louisiana manufacturer to earn the President's E-Star Award for excellence in exporting.
- Of the in-bound shipments Milnor receives each year, about 10 million pounds (4.5 million kilograms) are raw steel. Stainless and carbon steel (both sheet and plate) constitute the bulk, and flat bars and round bars average approximately 550,000 lbs. (250,000 kg).
- Milnor ships approximately 500 parts orders each week. These weekly orders average a total of 20,000 individual parts. Orders are disbursed to the factory through an on-line computerized parts ordering system, which allows the parts representative to simultaneously check availability of specific parts and place the order while the customer is on the phone.
- Every department in the company depends on some form of computer-generated information. One of the computer's more critical "customers" is production control--a department that tracks over 25,000 total items or components that go into producing equipment. The department issues work orders for fabricating thousands of parts each year-over 40,000 different part numbers in sheet metal and machine shop departments, and about 1,500 elsewhere in the factory.
- About 80% of equipment in Milnor's sheet metal department and machine shop is DNC (direct numerically controlled). These machines receive programming electronically from the company's CAD (computer aided design) and CAM (computer aided manufacturing) systems.